Heinz and Jutta Holzapfel spent months carefully crafting their escape tools:
- Hand-lathed pulley
- Polyester shoulder strap
- Black sweaters and pants
- Flashlight with a funnel attachment painted black made from the tip of Günter’s school cone. It gives off only highly directional light rather than scattered light which could betray them.
- A 500 gram hammer wrapped in foam rubber to deaden thuds. Covered in fluorescent paint to make it visible in the dark. A lug and a carabiner on the handle attached to a 45 meter long synthetic rope painted black
- A soot-covered cork for darkening their faces
- Foam-soled “creeping socks”
- A briefcase containing: report cards, family register, party documents, wage tax cards, certificates of vaccination, etc.